How’s this for orange and healthy?! It’s a wonderful theme drink for this time of year. The kids will think it looks like a pumpkin, and they’ll never know that it has carrots in it. Or, maybe the fact that it looks like a pumpkin might clue them in to the fact that there are some healthy things involved! This recipe comes from last month’s Better Homes and Gardens magazine. This was the issue with Michelle Obama on the cover. I never knew the readers of BH&G were so opinionated, but there was a lot of negative feedback about the First Lady being on the cover. Who knew?! You can’t taste the carrot, but you can definitely taste the pineapple. What’s crazy is how sweet this drink is with absolutely no sugar involved. That’s right, mom, Christina’s not the only one who can do healthy food!! (Just ignore the Candy Corn in the background!) Get your kids to try this and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. Carrots
- 2 c. Water
- 3 c. Pineapple Juice
- 3/4 c. Lemon Juice
- Lemon Wedges
- Combine carrots and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Empty carrots and water into a blender and add 1 cup of the pineapple juice. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining pineapple juice and lemon juice. Chill for at least two hours.
- Serve over ice and garnish with lemon wedges.
- This can thicken in refrigerator, so feel free to add water to get it to the consistency that you like.