thanks so much to Barlean’s for providing the product for today’s #RecipeMakeover.
I have been so excited to share this recipe ever since I signed up to participate in the #RecipeMakeover challenge! I have loved these apple cinnamon muffins forever, and making them a little bit healthier didn’t change the flavor at all. I know I talk a lot about how muffins are just breakfast cupcakes, but I felt like a granola mom giving these to my kids with their breakfast, and all the kids loved them!
One of the main problems with muffins when it comes to the health factor is the amount of oil. So, for today’s muffin I switched out the butter for butter flavored coconut oil from Barlean’s. I even used the coconut oil for the streusel topping, which was amazing! I also replaced the all purpose flour with whole wheat and I used coconut milk instead of regular milk, which means these muffins are also great if you have a dairy sensitivity.
I made these as muffins, but I also think these would make a perfect cake. Makes sure to let these cool for a little bit in the muffin tins because these are delicate and they can come apart if you pull them out too fast. The other option is to use cupcake liners, but I never use liners when I’m making muffins for the kids.
I can’t really adequately describe the flavor of these. There are big chunks of apples with a little bit of muffin. It’s almost like a baked fritter. The streusel topping is like the cherry on the (healthy) cake!
Don’t forget to check out some of the other #HealthyMakeover recipes and to enter the giveaway.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1/2 c. Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. coconut milk
- 2 c. diced apple
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
- Cream together the 1/2 c. oil, 1 1/4 c sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Beat the eggs into the oil mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture and the coconut milk alternating to the oil mixture.
- Fold the apples into the batter.
- Use a muffin scoop and fill the muffin tins halfway.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, 3 Tbsp flour and 2 Tbsp Coconut oil until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Top the muffin batter in the tins with the streusel mixture.
- Bake in a 375º oven for 30 mins
A huge THANK YOU to the sponsors, who have made #RecipeMakeover possible! They’ve provided a number of awesome products that you can win by entering our #RecipeMakeover giveaway below.
Just follow the instructions below, and you could win the following prize pack:
- Butter-flavored coconut oil and digestive blend from our sponsor Barlean’s – Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil is an organic, dairy-free alternative that can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter. Their digestive blend is an organic, vegan combination of flaxseed, chai seed, quinoa, unsweetened shredded coconut, and a proprietary pumpkin blend, that is delicious sprinkled into salads, smoothies, oatmeal, and more.
- Sampler pack of original, mesquite, and applewood Smokin O’s from our sponsor Smokin O’s – Instead of frying, choose a healthier cooking option like grilling! Smokin O’s is an innovative new product that allows you to add a natural wood taste even if you are using a propane grill, and they work great in charcoal grills and smokers too. No soaking, no mess, no wait – just delicious wood flavoring from a 100% natural product with no binders or chemicals.
- 4 flatbread pizzas from our sponsor American Flatbread – Choose from any of America Flatbread’s 15 all-natural, handmade pizza varieties, available at your local grocery store. These pizzas feature 100% organically grown wheat crusts and are topped with fresh herbs, vegetables, and cheeses (no rBST growth hormone!). They’re all-natural, with no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and handcrafted from scratch and par-baked in wood-fired ovens.
- 5 containers (48 oz) of ice cream from our sponsor Turkey Hill – Ice cream for a health food event? Try out their line of no-sugar-added products for a sweet treat without the guilt or their line of light ice creams, which have a rich taste with a fraction of the fat. They also have a rainbow sherbet option, which is Vitamin C and naturally low in fat. These all make great dessert options for special occasions. Turkey Hill also believes in implementing green initiatives to cut down on waste, reduce packaging, and minimize outputs into the environment.
- 15 tuna creations pouches from our sponsor StarKist – StarKist tuna pouches all have at least 13 grams of protein, and their BOLD line now includes three gluten-free varieties: Tuna Creations® BOLD Thai Chili Style; Tuna Creations® BOLD Jalapeño; and Tuna Creations® BOLD Hot Buffalo Style.
- Mueller Spiral-Ultra 4-Blade Spiralizer from blog hosts, The PinterTest Kitchen – this 4-in-1 gadget allows you to spiralize your favorite veggies, and it also has extra attachments for a juicer, mandolin and grater.
This prize pack is valued at over $200, and one lucky winner will get it all! This giveaway is open world-wide except where prohibited. A winner will be randomly drawn on April 29, at the conclusion of #RecipeMakeover, and the winner will be contact via email.