I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve posted, but we’ve had a hectic couple of weeks. I met Christina and our step-mom in New York City for the quickest weekend trip every, then I got home and flew to Hawaii with Doug the very next day for the Silhouette Summit. My sister was kind enough to come in and watch the kids which a took a ton of pressure off me. The only downside was that I pretty much crashed last week after my sister left. Life in Alaska is the best this time of year, but even with that, it’s a little rough coming back to real life!
So, on to this week’s muffin. Lemon and blueberry is a classic combination. I’ve definitely veered away from the healthier muffins this week, especially with the sugar and butter topping, but I have no regrets! I used fresh blueberries, but frozen will work just as well. These muffins are light and fluffy, and they make a perfect early morning treat!
To make these even more lemon-y, I used lemon sugar for the topping. To make the lemon sugar put the half cup of sugar into a Ziploc bag with some lemon zest and work it in your hands to incorporate it. The Microplane Zester is my favorite tool to get citrus zest.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 1/2 c. softened butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 c. blueberries
- zest and juice from one lemon
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1/2 c. sugar
- Beat together the 1/2 c. softened butter and the 1 c. of sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Combine the eggs and the milk and beat them into the butter mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Fold in the blueberries and the lemon zest and juice.
- Using a large scoop, divide the batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake in a 375º oven for 25-30 mins
- Dip the tops of the warm muffins into the melted butter and then into the 1/2 c. of sugar.