Today’s Muffin Monday is brought to you by The Fourth of July! Nothing says Independence Day breakfast like some patriotic muffins made with strawberries and blueberries and topped with Pearl Sugar. I believe strongly in using all the berries at my disposal! Back when we lived in SLC our neighborhood held the best 4th of July breakfast with a little parade, and in San Antonio our neighborhood had a delicious pancake breakfast. Here in Alaska our town holds the perfect small town parade every 4th of July, and these muffins will be the the perfect thing to bring to share with friends while we watch, and also to fill our stomachs before all the candy starts flying!
The berries and the sugar make for the patriotic colors. You can go even more patriotic and add some red, white and blue cupcake liners. The Swedish Pearl Sugar works better than granulated sugar here because it keeps its bright white color after the muffins are baked. My kids devoured these muffins in record time. I only wish that I had a backyard supply of berries so that I could bake these more often. I
Red White and Blue Muffins
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. oil
- 1/4 c. blueberries
- 1/4 c. diced strawberries
- Swedish Pearl Sugar
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Create a well with the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl combine egg, milk and oil.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Fold the berries into the batter.
- Using a large scoop, fill greased muffin tins about halfway. Top each muffin with a sprinkling of Pearl Sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.