I’ve been in the mood to try a savory muffin lately. I figure that you can never really go wrong with bacon and cheddar cheese, after all, bacon is a magical magical food! These muffins are delicious on their own (my kids finished these off in record time!), but they would also make a delicious side with eggs. I also think they’d make a great replacement for cornbread served with BBQ.
The secret to these muffins is using the bacon grease as the oil in the recipe. If you use pre-cooked bacon, you can still use vegetable oil, but if you cook the bacon yourself, save the drippings. For the cheese I used a sharp cheddar, You can totally experiment with different cheeses. Goat cheese would also be delicious in these ,muffins, but then they might not be quite as kid friendly! I used the Tillamook Farmstyle Sharp Cheddar, because it’s the most like hand grated for when I’m too lazy to grate my own!
One of the other things that I’m also excited to try with these muffins is a breakfast sandwich. The muffins can be frozen, so this will be a perfect school day breakfast on busy mornings. School starts for us in a couple of weeks, so I’m mentally preparing!
I love it when a plan comes together!
Bacon Cheddar Muffins
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 c. whipping cream
- 1/4 c. oil
- 1/2 c. fresh or canned peaches, diced
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Create a well with the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl combine egg, cream and oil.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Fold the peaches into the batter.
- Using a large scoop, fill greased muffin tins about halfway.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.