Delia received The Anne of Green Gables cookbook for Christmas. Anne of Green Gables was the first long chapter book we read together, so I thought she would enjoy the cookbook. Sarah had this same cookbook when we were growing up, I think it had a different cover. But it’s one of the few children’s cookbooks I remember from my childhood.
When we were on our way home from church yesterday Delia asked if we could make cookies in the afternoon. I thought that sounded like a great idea – I really wanted a cookie too! When we got home she looked through her new cookbook and chose the recipe for cordial. I told Joshua he could look through a cookbook and choose a cookie recipe for us, he ended up choosing a peach pie. So we ended up with lots of treats, but no cookies!
The cordial is delicious. Delia loved it. If you’re an Anne of Green Gables fan you have to try it!
Diana Barry’s Favourite Raspberry Cordial
- 2 packages frozen raspberries
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 lemons
- Boil the raspberries and sugar together over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved (about 15 minutes)
- Run the raspberries through a fine mesh strainer and discard the pulp.
- Mix the raspberry syrup, boiling water and the strained juice from the lemons.
- Serve chilled with a slice of lemon.