So, it’s a brand new year, which means we should have a treat and a giveaway … right?! Since it’s the third I assume most people are off their diets and ready for a treat to warm them up in these frigid temperatures. I know some of you are probably thinking that I don’t know frigid temperatures because I live in Texas, but it was pretty cold here this morning, and having grown up in Canada, I know a thing or two about cold! (p.s. If you still look stylish and your hair isn’t a static-y mess, then you’re not really cold!)
Today is a combo recipe. The first part is brought to you by the awesome peeps over at Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss, and the second part comes by way of an old friend who told me all about hot chocolate floats many moons ago!
First up the ice cream. I know ice cream doesn’t really go with today’s weather, but just stay with me for a minute. Last year for Christmas we got an amazing gelato maker for a gift, and we’ve been experimenting with all the wonderful flavors. After I was approached by the people at Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss, I knew I wanted to make ice cream with their product. I use flavored coffee creamer as a substitute for whole milk in a lot of baking recipes when I want to change it up a bit. I knew I was going to use the Sweet Cream flavor because I wanted something with a delicate flavor so that the texture really stands out.
A thermometer makes this a lot easier!
The ice cream was amazing on it’s own. It was super smooth and the flavor was perfect. For the first round, kids had ice cream topped with a little hot fudge sauce. Then we moved on to the grand finale, which was the hot chocolate float.
The idea is the same as a regular soda float, except you add ice cream to hot chocolate. This is delicious no matter what, but if you have kids it’s extra perfect because the ice cream does double duty as a flavor and as a coolant for the hot chocolate. If you haven’t tried this before, you need to try it. If you like hot chocolate at all, you’re going to love this. I’ve also seen other people use this idea with warm apple cider, but given a choice, I go with chocolate almost every time!
The Prize Package
Now for the giveaway. The people at Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss are giving one lucky reader the same gift pack they sent me! There is an awesome travel mug, an amazing candle, some biscotti and a coupon for you to try Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss for yourself. Follow the rafflecopter instructions at the bottom of the post. Contest will close next Tuesday. Good luck everyone!
Sweet Cream Ice Cream
adapted from The Ciao Bella Book of Gelato and Sorbetto
- 1 16oz container Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss, Sweet Cream flavor
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 c. sugar
- In a heavy sauce pan combine the creamer and the heavy cream, over medium heat until the mixtures reaches 170º. Stir constantly so the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- While the cream is coming to temperature, whisk the 4 eggs and the sugar in a separate bowl.
- Take a little bit of the hot cream and pour it into the egg and whisk, whisk, whisk! Add the remainder of the cream mixture to the egg mixture, stir and then pour it back into the pot and put it back on the stove.
- This time, heat the mixture to 185º, and don’t let it boil. Again, you need to stir the entire time.
- The mixture will turn into a custard and get thick (it’ll cover the back of a wooden spoon).
- When the custard has reached 185º, pour it through a fine mesh strainer into a lean bowl.
- Cool the mixture in the fridge, and then make ice cream in your ice cram maker.
a Rafflecopter giveaway